Monday, July 04, 2016

Independence Day

As another Independence Day comes to a close in the U.S., I'd like to share a few thoughts.

I am like many Christian conservatives in that I love to quote the patriotic verses of Scripture. You know them...

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Psalm 33:12

"Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." Proverbs 14:34

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

Please keep in mind that terms "the nation" and "my people" and "their land" in these verses aren't referring to the United States. These verses are for the people and land of Israel.

America, but for the grace of Israel's God, would more likely be marked by this verse;

"Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance." Isaiah 40:15

By God's providence, our nation was founded and fought for by a remnant of wise and courageous people. Those men and women knew the scriptures. In their day there was no nation of Israel - perhaps in Israel's scattered absence God let our forefathers partake of His national blessings.

Centuries later those blessings remain; but to the extent that we have left that righteous foundation our country has faltered. We cannot take God's blessings for granted. We need Go's continued grace.

"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." 2 Corinthians 3:17


There are many great historical references on our nation's founding. I suggest looking at the Wall Builders website if you want to dig deep into the subject: www.wallbuilders.com. I also suggest the book "The American Prophecies" by Michael Evans.



Please leave a comment below.


No comments: